In this episode, cosmetic surgeon Dr. Erik Nuveen joins David to discuss his career path, his practice’s growth, what he has learned about the business of medicine in building a cosmetic surgery platform.
Erik begins by explaining his dual trainings and degrees in dentistry and medicine and how his family background shaped both his medical/dental career and his entrepreneurial spirit.
David and Erik then focus on Erik’s practice – its organic growth over the years, how that growth left him with a dilemma, and his thought process on solving the dilemma by creating a larger cosmetic surgery platform.
Erik explains his process of bringing his entrepreneurial vision to reality, which became like a real-life MBA, as well as an enormous commitment of time and energy. Erik delves into a few lessons he learned from the process – from dealing only with firms that understand healthcare, to the value of “real pros” as your advisors.
Erik’s share the challenges he faced and lessons learned from operating a platform with varied offices around the country and recruiting or acquiring new practices. The episode concludes with Erik offering some high level advice for colleagues.
What You’ll Learn:
- Erik’s family background in dentistry and orthodontics
- His decision to pursue both medical and dental training
- His father’s entrepreneurial spirit… and how that has impacted his career
- Why Erik deemed it important to take his name off the practice name early on
- How Erik’s practice grew from the outset
- The dilemma Erik faced after the practice had significant growth
- The influence Eriks’ brother-in-law had on his business thinking
- Erik’s process of reaching out to private equity firms and fellow colleagues to build the vision of a cosmetic platform
- Important lessons Erik learned in dealing with finance firms in launching his platform about financial firms, attorneys and other advisors
- How to deal with the “psychotherapy of physicians” in communicating with partners
- Erik’s lessons he is learning as he operates and grows the platform nationally
- The importance of trust when taking on new physician partners
- Erik’s key pieces of advice for his fellow physicians
Contact Erik: firstname.lastname@example.org