Today we have two guests joining the show: Drs. Robin and Evander Fogle, from Atlanta, Georgia. Robin is a Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility Specialist, while Evander is an Orthopaedic Surgeon. In this episode, we discuss their stories of how they met, and their medical training paths across the U.S. (and Evander’s stint as staff surgeon at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba).
We focus most of the discussion on their challenges of making financial decisions as a couple and raising a family with busy practices – including the differences in how Robin deals with money vs Evander, yet how they make it work. They touch on buying that first house, savings vs spending, budgeting, the value of getting a professional’s input, the importance of delegation and more.
What You’ll Learn:
- Why Robin chose to specialize in fertility
- How Evander got into orthopaedic surgery
- Evander’s experience working in the military
- Their initial job search and how they ended up in Atlanta
- How the couple chose and financed their first house
- How Robin and Evander manage their finances as a couple – and key differences on how they approach money
- Key advisors they have used and the value they have brought
- The balance between doing everything oneself and delegating to experts
- One key piece of advice to younger docs from both Robin and Evander
Ideas Worth Sharing:
“Doctors get paid about the same, regardless of where they work, so cost of living makes the bigger difference.” – Dr. Evander Fogle
“A budget doesn’t really work if you don’t follow it.” – Dr. Robin Fogle
“Once I realized I needed to be prioritizing my time and leaving things for others to help me with, my life got a lot simpler.” – Dr. Evander Fogle