In this episode, Dr. Shaminder (Shammi) Gupta joins David to discuss his career path, the impact of Hurricane Katrina on that path, and what he is learning from being a business executive as well as a clinician.
Shammi begins with his background – where he grew up, what got him interested in medicine why he gravitated to internal medicine & nephrology. He explains why his first job out of training was not a fit for him and how hurricane Katrina changed his path completely – as it did for many living in New Orleans at the time – opening up a career path he would not have considered otherwise.
Shammi also covers how he built a significant dialysis practice in a smaller town setting, became president of the Kidney Foundation, and built a reputation throughout the state. This led to his practice being acquired by Monogram Health, where he works today as an executive and clinician.
Shammi then shares what he is learning from the “business side” of medicine, as he builds out a multi-state medical platform for kidney health, and describes the value CEOs see in physicians who can communicate well and know their field of medicine intimately.
Next, David gets Shammi’s insights on wealth management, including building the right advisor team and why to potentially change advisors as you grow, and Shammi concludes with his three pieces of advice for fellow physicians, especially those starting out.
What You’ll Learn:
- What interested Shammi in pursuing medicine as a career and why he gravitated to internal medicine & nephrology
- How the disability of his father – also a physician -impacted Shammi’s thinking
- Why Shammi’s first job out of training was not a good fit for him
- The impact of hurricane Katrina on his life and career
- How the desperation of finding work opened up an opportunity he wouldn’t have considered otherwise
- Why Shammi does the 40-minute commute now even if he doesn’t have to
- What Shammi is learning from being on the business side of medicine, with most of his time at work outside of his clinical practice
- Why CEOs value physicians who can communicate well and know their field of medicine intimately.
- Shammi’s wife’s venture and the successful business she has built
- Shammi’s insights on wealth management – including building the right advisor team, and why to potentially change advisors as you grow.
- Shammi’s three pieces of advice for fellow physicians, especially those starting out
- David Mandell: Bio
- Dr. Shaminder Gupta: Bio
- Spruce: www.sprucenola.com