Listen in as host David Mandell chats with entrepreneur and experienced private investor David Victor. They begin by discussing Victor’s career path, leaving the practice of law to join his father in the startup that became American Education Institute (AEI), where Mandell lectures every year.
They then explore AEI in more depth – what services it offers, why physicians might be interested in it, how COVID forced Victor to transform the business, and why the business may be stronger now than ever before.
Next, Victor explains his approach to investing in private businesses, including a dive into a cannabis-focused real estate project he is excited about today. He concludes with some advice to others looking to invest significantly into private businesses.
What You’ll Learn:
- David Victor’s decision to go to law school at University of Michigan
- Why he left his first job at a Chicago law firm
- What AEI is and its offering for physicians
- As COVID shut down AEI instantly, how Victor innovated to respond
- Why the new delivery system for AEI may make it a stronger company
- How Victor is focused on creating more liquidity in his portfolio today
- Why he considers the “jockey” to be, by far, the most crucial element when investing in any business
- Why he considers “TAM” to be the second most important
- Advice to physicians who may be interested in being a part of entrepreneurial ventures
- The details about a venture Victor is excited about today – a cannabis-related real estate deal
- David Mandell: Bio
- David Victor Bio:
David Victor grew up in the metropolitan Detroit area. He received a BBA from the University of Michigan in 1981, and a law degree in 1984 from the University of Michigan School of Law. After practicing law very briefly in Chicago he returned to the Detroit area to assume control of American Educational Institute, a national, accredited continuing education company for healthcare and legal professionals and continues as its CEO to this day. In recent years Mr.
Victor has reviewed hundreds of private investment opportunities ultimately investing well over $200 Million in select assets, the majority of which have been in the multi-family, commercial, retail and industrial real estate sectors. He serves on the board of directors of Verge.IO, a cloud data center convergence software company.
Mr. Victor’s community involvement has been fairly extensive over the years, however, his primary focus since the early 2000’s has been Pro-Israel activism with AIPAC, the American
Israel Public Affairs Committee. He has been a national board member of AIPAC since 2002, He currently serves on its executive committee and was the organization’s national president from 2008 to 2010.